c++.stl.sgi
c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - Newbie needs help with header files

↑ ↓ ← Brett O'Hare <Brett_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hello.

I am just starting to learn about partitioning C++ programs into header files,
source files, etc.  Here is a very basic example (for illustrative purposes) and
then I'll explain what my problem is--

//Cube.h -- header file
int Cube(int);

//Cube.cpp -- source file
#include "Cube.h"
int Cube(int number)
{
return number * number * number;
}

//CubeTest.cpp  -- main program
#include <iostream>
#include "Cube.h"

int main()
{
int numberCubed = Cube(3);
std::cout << "The number cubed is " << numberCubed << std::endl;
return 0;
}

The problem is when I try to compile this using the Digital Mars compiler:
dmc CubeTest.cpp

I get the following error:
--------------------------------------
link cubetest,,,user32+kernel32/noi;

OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 7.50B1
Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001  All Rights Reserved

cubetest.obj(cubetest)
Error 42: Symbol Undefined ?Cube  YAHH Z (int cdecl Cube(int ))

--- errorlevel 1
Process dmc exited with code 1
--------------------------------------

What seems to be happening is that the source file, Cube.cpp, isn't being "seen"
(linked or whatever the appropriate term is).  If I include it directly,
#include "Cube.cpp", everything works as expected.

I guess my question is is there a flag I should be using when compiling to
properly link the three files together, or am I not using header files
correctly?  My understanding was that header files contain the declaration,
while the source files contain the definitions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Also, I apologize for the simple-mindedness of this example... but we all have
to start somewhere, right?)
Jul 05 2004