c++.stl.sgi
c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - File with extension ".LNK" !!!; is this new to 8.39 beta?

↑ ↓ ← dan <dan_member pathlink.com> writes:
I hadn't seen this before. I went into the output folder to delete everything in
a last ditch attempt to stop the linker crashing, and I see a symbolic link
there, with the name of my program. But I know I never created a symbolic link,
so the compiler, or the IDDE must have created it. Then I checked its properties
to see what it linked to, and it linked to nothing. As far as Windows is
concerned, a file with ".lnk" extension that does not link to something else is
a corrupt file.
Would it be possible to use some extension that isn't reserved?
E.g.: ".olk" for Optilink, or ".dml" for DM Linker...
Cheers!
Jan 29 2004
Phil Thompson <phil electricvisions.com> writes:
Not sure if this will help you but did you know that a .lnk file is a
Windows shortcut?

Phil

dan wrote:
 I hadn't seen this before. I went into the output folder to delete everything
in
 a last ditch attempt to stop the linker crashing, and I see a symbolic link
 there, with the name of my program. But I know I never created a symbolic link,
 so the compiler, or the IDDE must have created it. Then I checked its
properties
 to see what it linked to, and it linked to nothing. As far as Windows is
 concerned, a file with ".lnk" extension that does not link to something else is
 a corrupt file.
 Would it be possible to use some extension that isn't reserved?
 E.g.: ".olk" for Optilink, or ".dml" for DM Linker...
 Cheers!

Jan 29 2004
In article <bvbj96$2i2j$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Phil Thompson says...
Not sure if this will help you but did you know that a .lnk file is a
Windows shortcut?

That's exactly what I was talking about, Phil; it's what I meant by "symbolic link". I had not seen this with previous versions of Digital Mars. Since I installed the 8.39 beta, two days ago, I've been having linker crashes that I could not trace. Today, it occurred to me that maybe the project files were corrupted, so I went to the output folder to delete them and start the project anew, and what I found there, to my astonishment, was a shortcut with the name of my project. When I tried to see what it pointed to, it pointed to nothing. This means that DMC++ is creating a file with an extension .LNK which perhaps works in windows XP, or whatever version of windows Walter uses, but I think it's what is causing the linker to crash in win98. Cheers!
Jan 29 2004
"dan" <dan_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bvb7fi$1umc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I hadn't seen this before. I went into the output folder to delete

 a last ditch attempt to stop the linker crashing, and I see a symbolic

 there, with the name of my program. But I know I never created a symbolic

 so the compiler, or the IDDE must have created it. Then I checked its

 to see what it linked to, and it linked to nothing. As far as Windows is
 concerned, a file with ".lnk" extension that does not link to something

 a corrupt file.
 Would it be possible to use some extension that isn't reserved?
 E.g.: ".olk" for Optilink, or ".dml" for DM Linker...
 Cheers!

.lnk files are used to pass a command to the linker, as in: link foo.lnk It has nothing to do with symbolic links, and has been that way since before win98 ever existed.
Jan 29 2004
In article <bvbkug$2klq$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
.lnk files are used to pass a command to the linker, as in:
    link  foo.lnk
It has nothing to do with symbolic links, and has been that way since before
win98 ever existed.

Yes, I realize now it's not the problem. Well, it was a shot...
Jan 29 2004