c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - Linux remarks

↑ ↓ ← Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
I know the Linux subject has been raised before, but since DMC prides itself on
speed and compact executables, I felt it appropriate to post some comments from
another developer regarding the GNU C++ tools on Linux.  He is porting code from
MSVC6 to GCC.

So it appears that DMC could really help a lot of Linux folks if it were ever
ported.

Still thanks for such a wonderful compiler for Windows.  I am really gratified
by the progress being made on namespaces and templates.

Mark

Another issue, is the complete and utter sluggishness of g++. Holy CRAP!! those
of you who know me have heard me get on my rant as to why is VC6 so friggin
slow. Damn, VC6 is a friggin sprinter compared to the turtle that is g++.
Compiling ... takes around 40 minutes. It takes 15 on VC6. And the  output for
g++ is also nothing short of a incredible! The .so with the -ggdb flag turned on
(this is supposed to  put in gdb compliant debug information), weighs in at a
whopping 36 MB!!!  Thats right, not 3.6 MB, but 36MB, I had to double check the
size myself  before I beleived it. And running "strip" on it reduces it to a
"mere" 7MB in size.  The comparable data for VC6 (the applicationKit_d.dll,
map, idb, and pdb) weighs in at 17MB, and the size of the image itself  is 1.9.
Sigh....
Jan 02 2003
If I can convince more of the djgpp and cygnus g++-on-windows people to
switch to DMC++, then a good case can be made for the viability of a linux
version.

DMC++ is small and fast because its heritage is as a DOS compiler where
speed & size were incredibly important.

news:av27oh$vde$1 digitaldaemon.com...